Crispy Beef | Sugar for Breakfast: Crispy Beef
Image Map

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Crispy Beef

I made this last night for dinner and the hubs was a little leery. I could tell without him even saying he was.
He has never eaten crispy beef before - which took me by surprise!
I really loved this dish and even better - he liked it also!
The beef has a nice crisp on the outside and has a chew to the inside, it has just a tiny bit of a kick (I added red pepper flakes, of course) but it is just the right amount of sweet from the sweet chili sauce.
As all Asian dishes do, it comes together quickly.
I think that is why I love to cook Asian food so much - just use your wok and you have a meal in about 20 minutes!
The recipes with stir fry are always adaptable to suit your tastes. You could add some sliced peppers to this, or other veggies. I think Chinese restaurants add leek to their version. I opted just for some carrots and green onions.
You can also use about any cut of beef that you have.
I happened to have beef round - London broil in the freezer.
It was large enough that I only used half of it for this and I will save the other half for another recipe later this week.

If you don't have a wok, use a large skillet. But I highly recommend investing in a wok. You can pick up an inexpensive one at Walmart or Target for under $10. The way it heats and cooks just can't quite be replicated with a large skillet.


Crispy Beef

1 pound round beef, sliced into small pieces (about 1/2 inch wide)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated ginger (I use the kind in the squeeze tube - available in the veggie section)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (available in the Asian section - spring roll dipping sauce)
3 green onions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
Oil

Coat the sliced beef in the cornstarch.
Heat the wok or large skillet.
Coat the bottom with oil, let heat through.
Add the beef. ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes.
Cook until outsides are crisp and no longer pink.
Remove beef from wok and set aside in a bowl.
Add the soy sauce and sweet chili sauce.
Let heat through.
Add the green onions and carrots. 
Cook until sauce is bubbly and thickened slightly.
Add the beef back into the wok and coat well with the sauce.
Serve over rice.


No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...