Sugar Cookie Bars | Sugar for Breakfast: Sugar Cookie Bars
Image Map

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars

I love frosted sugar cookies.
I love making them for people for parties and get togethers.
I do not love the time that it takes to make frosted sugar cookies.
It is very time-consuming.
The chilling of the dough, rolling, cutting, baking, cooling, repeat about a million times :)
Then the frosting of the individual cookie.
It is worth it in the end, but I was crunched for time the other day, and really wanted some sugar cookies.
So I thought about baking them into bars.


But I didn't want to use my stand-by buttercream frosting recipe, I knew it would make too much for a pan of cookie bars, and they are very rich. I wanted to try something new.
I did a change up my standard recipe a bit, since I don't typically add baking powder or baking soda to my cookies (prevents spreading). But bars need it to give them some volume. This is definitely is tasty! My daycare kiddos loved it! It makes a big pan (I used a 12x18 cake pan) so I had plenty to send home at the end of the day with each family.


And of course my daughter loves to use colored sprinkles to decorate the bars. 
Lots, I mean lots of sprinkles. It is her job (and only her job, I'm pretty much forbidden to do it) to coat the top with the colored little perils.


To make cutting them easier, I always use a pizza cutter and a knife to just cut the edges that it won't reach while in the pan.
Cut them as big or as small as you'd like. I typically do about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch square.
They are sweet and rich, so any bigger and nobody can finish their serving :)

Sugar Cookie Bars

by Sugar For Breakfast
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ingredients (20-30+)
    For Cookie Bars
    • 1 cup butter, room temperature
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 4 eggs
    • 2 tsp vanilla
    • 5 cups flour
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    For the Frosting
    • 1 cup butter, softened
    • 3 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • Sprinkles for decorating
    Instructions
    For the Cookie Bars
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
    Add the eggs and vanilla.
    Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl.
    Add slowly to the creamed butter mixture.
    Combine well.
    Press dough into a greased 12x18 baking pan.
    Bake for 15 minutes, or until dough is set.
    Cool completely in pan.
    For the Frosting
    Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
    Add in the vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
    When the bars are cooled, frost with the frosting and then decorate as desired.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...