Skillet Oven-Fried Chicken | Sugar for Breakfast: Skillet Oven-Fried Chicken
Image Map

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Skillet Oven-Fried Chicken

I have been using my iron skillet a lot more lately and I am in love!
I don't know why I have been so scared to use them.


Now I firmly believe every home should have at least one.
They aren't hard to take care of the the way that they cook just cannot be replicated by anything else.
I didn't know what to make the other night for dinner, and I haven't used my iron skillets in the oven yet, so I figured I'd give it a whirl and see how it went.



Well, it was amazing.



I seasoned some panko bread crumbs, coated some chicken drumsticks and let them fry up in the oven.
They did NOT disappoint!
The meat was full of flavor.
The outside was crispy.
They were still juicy.
They were absolutely wonderful and I could probably put this on a weekly menu and we wouldn't get tired of them
I suggest you try making them ASAP.
If you don't have an iron skillet, any oven-proof skillet would do, or just a baking dish. You just won't get that seared iron skillet flavor!

Skillet Oven-Fried Chicken

by Emily Chhouy
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Ingredients (8-12 drumsticks)
  • 8-12 chicken drumsticks
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Olive or canola oil
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a shallow bowl.
Combine the panko crumbs and seasonings together in another shallow bowl.
Melt the butter in the iron skillet and keep over a low heat.
Drip each drumstick in the egg wash and then the panko mixture.
Press the crumbs firmly onto each piece of chicken.
Place in the skillet.
Repeat with each piece of chicken.
Drizzle each drumstick with the olive oil or canola oil lightly.
Place the skillet in the oven and let bake for 20 minutes.
Flip each piece of chicken oven and continue cooking for another 20-25 minutes, or until browned crisp and the juices run clear.
Drain slightly on paper towels before serving, if desired.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...