Chewy Toffee Cookies | Sugar for Breakfast: Chewy Toffee Cookies
Image Map

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Chewy Toffee Cookies

Hello.
My name is Emily.
And I officially a cookie-a-holic.
On Sunday I was just endlessly busy.
It was one of those days I needed extra hands, more hours in the day, you know those days, right?
And as I was sitting down at 8pm to double check on my coursework I submitted for the day the hubs (while lying on the couch watching TV) asks me, "you gonna make some cookies or what?"


I'm not going to lie. 
For a quick moment...or a long moment...rage shot through my body. 
I was tired. I just wanted to finish what I was doing and go. to. bed.
But, I did promise the hubs some cookies over the weekend and I never got around to making them...
So, I asked what kind he wanted.
He didn't know.
I asked our daughter.
She wanted elaborate sandwich cookies (the peanut butter Nutella ones).
I wanted something simple that I could mix, drop, and bake.


I had been craving a good, chewy, toffee cookie for a while and decided to give it a whirl.
I searched the internet quickly for a good recipe to try and couldn't come up with any that I wanted to try.
So, I printed off my Chocolate Chip, Pecan & Toffee Chip cookie recipe and adapted it to make it just toffee, more chewy - less crunchy. 
Total success.
I only baked one sheet that night and refrigerated the rest of the dough to bake the next morning (totally worth the time in the fridge, so do it if you want - otherwise they are just as good right away).
The hubs quickly announced that they are delicious.
Today he was snacking on his baggie he stashed away and told me he would eat them all himself.
He did. 
And this is the cookie that made me realize that I totally become a cookie-a-holic. 
Once I start snacking on one, I just can't stop. 
I want to eat another.
And that leads to yet one more...
Until then, well - I'm ashamed of myself.
But it tastes so good getting to that point.


Chewy Toffee Cookies

by Emily Chhouy 
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8 min
Ingredients (36 cookies)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups toffee chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars.
Add the vanilla extract and the eggs, blending well until fluffy.
Combine together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
Slowly add it to the creamed butter mixture.
Pour in the toffee chips slowly and let continue to mix at a low speed, or by hand, until the dough holds it shape.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoonful, or using a cookie scoop onto ungreased baking sheets, at least 1 1/2 inches apart.
Press the tops down lightly to flatten the dough a little.
Bake for 8 minutes, or until puffed in the center of each cookie and edges are lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet.
The cookies will deflate, then remove cookies from the sheet to cooling racks to let continue cooling completely.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...