Cinnamon Sugar Scones | Sugar for Breakfast: Cinnamon Sugar Scones
Image Map

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Cinnamon Sugar Scones

I am slightly addicted to scones.
It is true.
I can't help it, they are so good.
But I am tired of paying $1.95+ for a little inch by inch morsel.
They are delicious, yes indeed. But outrageously priced.
So this morning on a whim I decided to bake up my own scones!
This was a first for me and I will admit, I was nervous I would mess them up.
I was afraid they would be too dry, or too hard to shape, etc.
Boy, I was so very wrong.
They were super easy to make, came out nice and moist and they are so easy to shape!


I was really craving a fresh blueberry scone, but since I don't have any blueberries in the house at the moment, I settled on trying out a cinnamon sugar scone recipe that I found in a cookbook from a Mrs. Thomas, whomever that may be. I love the old church cookbooks!

I mixed up the dough, rolled it into a ball and then pressed it out into a flat circle just using my hands.
I then laid it down on my awesome baking sheet I just picked up at Target, I believe it is Threshold brand.
Then using my rolling pin (I didn't even grease or flour the baking sheet, but I suggest you do that if you are using older baking sheets) and rolled it out into a larger circle.
Using the edges of the sheet pan as my guide, I let the rolling pin roll it out to the thickness of the handles resting on the edge. I hope that makes sense :)
Doing it that way left it a uniform thickness all the way around.
Here are the photos once I added the cinnamon and sugar, then sliced it with a pizza cutter:





Cinnamon Sugar Scones

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg, separated

3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a mixing bowl add the butter, flour, baking powdered and baking soda together.
Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until a little balls of dough form.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, brown sugar and egg yolk.
Add to the flour mixture and stir until a ball of dough forms.
Using your hands, make a large disc with the dough and then on a lightly floured surface, or a greased baking sheet (if not non-stick) roll the dough out until it 1/2-3/4 inch thick and in the shape of a large circle.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl
Whisk the egg white until it becomes a bit foamy, then using a pastry brush, cover the top of the dough with an egg wash.
Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the dough
Slice into 8 wedges using a pizza cutter. 
Bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until icing reaches a consistency you like.
Remove the scones from the oven. 
Either leave on the sheet and drizzle with the icing, or remove to a cooling rack placed over wax or parchment paper. 
Drizzle the scones with the icing, then if wanted, scoop up the icing drippings and re-drizzle over again.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...