Peanut Butter Bon-Bons | Sugar for Breakfast: Peanut Butter Bon-Bons
Image Map

Monday, June 30, 2014

Peanut Butter Bon-Bons

Peanut butter bon-bons (or peanut butter balls) are my absolute favorite holiday candy, hands down!
So when my daughter requested them a week ago, I couldn't say no! I haven't ever made them when it wasn't Christmastime, which I don't know why. It isn't like it is a rule they can only be made for holiday eating.



Then, after making them, I remembered why I only make them once a year...
They are addicting!! I seriously cannot eat just one!
I have changed the original recipe from my Grandma (well actually, it was my Great-Grandma's recipe) since I don't want to mix paraffin into the chocolate. 
Grandma's had a beautiful glossy sheen to them, thanks to that square of a paraffin. Instead, I just mix in about half a teaspoon of shortening, just to thin the chocolate a tad bit and it does help the chocolate coat it smoother. 


For dipping the peanut butter balls, I like to use a plastic fork with the two middle tines broken off. It works perfectly!
Store in the fridge and you will be munching on these all day...




Try out these other yummy candies:



Peanut Butter Bon Bons

by Sugar For Breakfast
Prep Time: 30 min
Ingredients (60-80 bon bons)
    For the Bon Bons
    • 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
    • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    • 4 cups powdered sugar
    • 18oz chunky peanut butter
    For the Chocolate Coating
    • 12oz chocolate chips
    • 1 big Hershey milk chocolate bar
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon shortening
    Instructions
    Combine the cereal, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and melted butter in a large mixing bowl.
    Mix well.
    Form into small balls, about 1/2 inch-1 inch big.
    Place on a large cookie sheet that covered with a sheet of wax paper.
    Chill until they are firm.
    Melt the chocolate chips and milk chocolate bar together.
    Stir in 1/2-1 teaspoon of shortening and stir until it is melted. (start with less, and if it isn't as smooth as you'd like it, add a bit more of the shortening)
    Dip the chilled peanut butter ball into the chocolate, tapping excess chocolate off.
    Place on the wax paper lined cookie sheet.
    Chill again until chocolate is set.
    Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...