Repair Book Binding (DIY) | Sugar for Breakfast: Repair Book Binding (DIY)
Image Map

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Repair Book Binding (DIY)

A recent trip to Galena, IL and a visit to an old bookstore started my fascination with "vintage" cookbooks. I obviously love to bake and cook, and my Grandma's recipes will always be my favorite, so it makes sense that they are my new obsession, right? Well I picked up two while there, and then I started hunting eBay for some more. I picked up this Betty Crocker book and knew it needed some work to make it "usable" so I wouldn't damage it any further. Thus, my new DIY on repairing book binding has been born! I have never repaired a book before, but after some thought, it was relatively easy and thought I'd share what I learned through trial and error. It takes a few supplies, some patience, it is very inexpensive, and of course that hardback book.

Tools needed:
  • Glue (not school glue, I used multi-purpose craft glue)
  • Large rubber bands
  • Scissors
  • Wooden skewer 


Here is my book before:



As you can see, the binding is completely ripped on the top and there are little pieces flying around everywhere.
First, using the scissors, cut those fly away pieces off:



Now that those are cut off, line the binding with glue around the edges (the cover that is coming off). Use the wooden skewer to spread as close to the edge as you can without it seeping out.
Immediately wrap rubber bands around the book to hold the cover and binding in place to dry. Let set and dry at least 3 or 4 hours. I let mine sit overnight. I didn't take a picture of this, but here is one from my next tutorial on fixing pages:


Remove the rubber bands and you have repaired a book binding!

1 comment :

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...