Gluten-Free Cupcakes | Sugar for Breakfast: Gluten-Free Cupcakes
Image Map

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Gluten-Free Cupcakes

We all know that I love to make cake and cupcakes.
I was recently asked to make a gluten-free birthday cake for a co-worker's daughter who was turning 10 and had never got to have a decorated birthday cake of her own.
Of course I jumped at the chance to make her a cake!


I myself have never really baked a lot with gluten-free flour. I had experimented with it once before, but nothing too in-depth.  I set to work researching cake recipes and baked a small trial cake. 
The trial cake was a success, in general. 
It was a cake. 
My husband described it as "play-doh-ish" and to me it was just a bit too gritty.
I really like a moist cake that holds up on his own. To me, that means that you would be able to hold the piece of cake with your fingers and it won't crumble apart. 


The first gluten-free flour that I baked with was King Arthur's brand. 
To be honest, I wasn't happy with the results. After talking to my friend about the cake that I had made, she agreed that it was good...but it just dried out too quickly. And quite frankly, I didn't like the gritty texture to it. The edges of it reminded me of a cornmeal while I was frosting it. I mean, once you slap some frosting on it, it is going to be delicious no matter what, right?

It was passable as a decent gluten-free cake.
Then I switched things up for another cake for the same family. 
I baked up some cupcakes with the batter and the outcome was so. much. better.
This time I purchased gluten-free rice flour from Betty Crocker. 
Betty knows what is up.
The overall general texture when I poured the flour out of the bag was like night and day to the other brand. It was finer, smoother, and it just made a better batter overall.

I mean, look at how fluffy and wonderful the cupcake looks on the inside!


So my tips for baking gluten-free cake or cupcakes with this recipe are these:
  • Bake at lower temperature for a longer amount of time
  • Use sour cream to keep the batter moist
  • Rice gluten-free flour has a much better texture and end result in the cake
This is not a dairy-free or sugar-free cake. 
This is just strictly a gluten-free cake.

Gluten-Free Cupcakes

by Sugar For Breakfast
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45-55 min
Ingredients (2 8" inch cakes or 24 cup)
  • 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter; melted
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon almond
  • 12 oz. sour cream
Instructions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl mix together the gluten-free flour, salt, and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar.
Add half of the flour mixture to the eggs and sugar.
Mix slightly and then add the melted butter, vanilla and almond extracts.
Pour the buttermilk into the mixture and mix slightly.
Add the remaining dry ingredients to the mixture and combine thoroughly.
Fold in the sour cream until well combined.
Pour into greased and gluten-floured prepared cake pans, or paper-lined cupcake tins.
Bake for 20-30 minutes for cupcakes, or 45-55 minutes for cakes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
Do not over bake.
Cool completely before frosting.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...