Lemon Crumb Squares | Sugar for Breakfast: Lemon Crumb Squares
Image Map

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lemon Crumb Squares


I don't know what it is lately, but I have been craving anything and everything lemon lately!
Especially a nice glass of iced lemonade after a day of work...ahhh!
It's a good thing that I have a ton of ideas for using lemons, because I am wanting to bake something up every chance I can get! 
I have been experimenting, and let's be honest - quite a few were flops.
They weren't bad, just not good enough to share!
These I decided to create so I could use up the remaining sweetened condensed milk that I had after making up another batch of Honey Walnut Shrimp for the hubs. 
I really like a good, strong lemon flavor, so adjust as necessary for your liking. I also ended up using two (yes, really) cans of sweetened condensed milk because just one didn't look enough like enough lemon creme for the bars. 
You could use one just fine and just cut the amount of lemon juice and eggs in half. 
These were best chilled. At least I thought so. 
The flavor comes through a lot better than when they were cold, rather than at room temperature. 
I baked these in a 9x9 inch baking pan, but 8x8 would work just as well, making them a bit thicket yet. 
I cut the pan into 9 squares. 


Lemon Crumb Bars

by Emily Chhouy
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Ingredients (9 squares)
    For the Crust/Topping
    • 1 cup flour
    • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 3/4 cup butter, melted
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    For the Lemon Filling
    • 3/4 cup lemon juice
    • zest of one lemon
    • 2-14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
    • 4 egg yolks (large)
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    For the Crust/Topping
    Combine the flour, oats, sugars, salt and baking soda together.
    Add the melted butter and vanilla; stir until all is moistened.
    Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
    Bake for 10-12 minutes then set aside while preparing the filling.
    For the Filling
    Beat the egg yolks in a mixing bowl.
    Add the lemon juice and zest.
    Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk until it is well combined.
    Pour the filling onto the baked crust.
    Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top of the filling.
    Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
    Allow to cool to room temperature - then chill in the refrigerator before cutting into squares.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...