Dark Chocolate Cupcakes | Sugar for Breakfast: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Image Map

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

Dark. Chocolate. Cupcakes.
If you are a chocolate lover, then these are the perfect cupcake for you.
They are super chocolately.
Super moist.
Super rich.
Seriously, super chocolately.
I couldn't even eat an entire one. And I love cupcakes.
But, chocolate can get to be a bit too much for me.
I typically stand by with my go-to chocolate cake recipe which I posted with the Snickers cupcake, but decided to bust out of my shell and try something different. I settled on trying a "tried and true" recipe, and went with Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake & Frosting recipe. Which is what this is. The only difference is that I used dark cocoa powder instead of just regular cocoa powder.
I know I could down this cake easily with a vanilla frosting, but chose to go with the recipe and try theirs, since it involved melted butter, and I have only made fudge frosting that way. You could use dark cocoa for the frosting, but that might be a bit extreme for the average person.
I made it with just regular cocoa powder. Either way this is good! I had to double the frosting recipe (which I have done already below) to get enough to pipe onto the 24 cupcakes the cake batter recipe makes).
Grab a glass...or two of milk. For real, you'll need it with these babies!


Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
{printable recipe}

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup dark cocoa, sifted
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350
Combine together the sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the eggs, vanilla, oil, and milk.
Mix for 2 minutes.
Stir in the boiling water (I recommend by hand)
Fill paper-lined cupcake tins 1/2-3/4 full of of the batter.
Cook 10-12 minutes, until bottoms are no longer wiggly.
Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

Frosting Recipe

1 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a mixing bowl combine the melted butter and the cocoa.
Add the vanilla.
Mix in the powdered sugar and milk, adding alternately.
Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...