Chhouy's Lettuce Wraps | Sugar for Breakfast: Chhouy's Lettuce Wraps
Image Map

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chhouy's Lettuce Wraps



I really enjoy the lettuce wraps from PF Chang's. I'm not too hip on most of the menu, surprisingly. Everything just tastes really soy saucy. Not necessarily my favorite flavor by itself, or in overwhelming quantities.
I really wanted to create my own wraps that I could make at home.
So...I played around with a variety of sauces and other ingredients until I came up with version.
It is definitely my sister-in-law's favorite, so we have it whenever we have a dinner get-together!
It makes quite a bit, so it can easily serve 4 people as a meal, or more if served as an appetizer.
To make it more filling, I typically whip up a batch of sticky rice to help fill the lettuce and then the meat filling has something to stick to.
From the list of ingredients, you may think it is really spicy, but it isn't.
The meat doesn't have much of a kick to it, however the sauce has a bit more. So, if you don't like the kick, just don't add the Sriracha sauce,
My only other tip would be to use lean meat so it isn't too greasy.
I like to use a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground turkey. But you could use all of one of the other with the same results.

Here is a line-up of the sauces I use, in case you aren't sure of what I am talking about:



Lettuce Wraps

by Emily Chhouy
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ingredients (4-8 servings)
  • 2 heads iceberg lettuce
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pound lean turkey
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (I like to use a food processor)
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 1 can water chestnuts; drained and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 C hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Asian chile sauce (Sriracha)
  • 1 teaspoon pure sesame oil
For the Sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Sriracha chile sauce
Instructions
Brown ground beef and turkey in a wok with chopped onions, garlic and water chestnuts.
Add the soy sauce, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, chile sauce, sesame oil to the meat.
Cut core off the heads of lettuce, slice the head of lettuce in half.
Serve the meat in bowls with large spoons so everyone can scoop out the meat and place in their own lettuce leaf, with rice (if desired)
Serve with dipping sauce.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...