Apple Fritters | Sugar for Breakfast: Apple Fritters
Image Map

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Apple Fritters

Nothing is better than a fried fritter covered in a powdered sugar glaze. Really, I don't think there is anything much better. I haven't experimented much in the doughnut department, and I am thinking this fall is the perfect time to make some recipes I have had in mind for quite some time.
So, to kick off my fall doughnut extravaganza I decided to try my hand at making some homemade apple fritters!
I love the apple and cherry fritters our local grocery store makes (I think they use pie filling in their batter, although I'm not sure exactly).
This recipe came out fairly well for my first time frying up a batch of fritters. I think I will try it again with pie filling, since it has that gooey cinnamon juice to add more flavor.
But my husband actually enjoyed these! These are best eaten shortly after being fried. I put some in a covered container, and they were too soft and soggy for my liking the next morning.


recipe adapted from SeeminglyGreek

Apple Fritters
1 cup self-rising flour (all-purpose works also)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter; melted
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups chopped apple (into small pieces)
Oil for frying

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl combine vanilla, butter and egg.
Add flour mixture to wet mixture alternatively with milk until well combined.
Fold in apples.

Heat oil in fryer or saucepan over the stove to 300°-335°
Using an ice cream scoop (or similar sized scoop) drop batter by scoopful into the hot oil.
I fried 3 fritters at a time:



Let fry about 45 seconds or until a nice golden brown, then flip (I use chopsticks) to fry the other side.
Remove to paper towel lined plate or colander to absorb access oil.

Let cool completely then dip in glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk

Whisk together sugar and milk then dip one side of fritter into the glaze.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...