Stocking Holder {DIY} | Sugar for Breakfast: Stocking Holder {DIY}
Image Map

Monday, December 10, 2012

Stocking Holder {DIY}



We do not have a fireplace in our house.
Every year we put nails in the same spot where we have built-in-shelving where all our family photos are.
It is so-not-cool.
I've been on the look-out for stocking hooks, but they are at least $10 a piece!
Then I was going to purchase a sign to hang them from...but they get pricey quickly also, and had too many hooks.
That's when I decided that I can just make a sign myself for our stockings.
It is super simple and it was a lot of fun!
I made it for $10, as I already had paint, paint brushes, glue and glitter on hand.
I picked up a sign at Hobby Lobby for $6.99. It was white, and already had the hooks on the back for hanging:



It just takes some time to wait for the paint to dry, and then the glue, and you are good to go!

Materials needed:
  • Wood board
  • Paint (I used red and white)
  • Paint brushes (I used a wide sponge brush to paint the entire board, and very small-tipped brushes for the writing)
  • Extra fine glitter
  • Mug hooks
  • Printed words
  • Ball-point pen
Steps:
  • Paint entire wood board the color you want.
    • Let dry, repeat coats until covered well.
  • Type out the quote or saying you would like in the font you want (I downloaded cute holiday fonts for mine) and print out the size you would like painted on the sign; print.
  • Cut out the words roughly and using masking or painter's tape, tape to the board to hold in place:

  • Using a ball-point pen, trace around the outside of the letters. This leaves a small imprint of the letters in the paint on the wood. It is just enough you can see it to paint. It works out awesome!
  • I used white paint and small-tipped paint brushes to fill in the words. (I bought this set of brushes and they work awesome)
  • I applied two coats of paint to the letters as well
  • Once dry, paint the letters in the same manner, but this time use craft glue (I like Elmer's craft glue) and apply extra fine glitter before the glue dries. I did about 2 letters at a time.


  • I added spots of glue at the ends and sprinkled the glitter on it as well.
  • Using a drill, drill little holes for the mug hooks to go into. I needed three. (I purchased the hooks at Walmart for $2 I think.

  • Hang with nails on the wall.
  • Add stockings!

These stockings I got on sale last year as a last resort, all of our Christmas decorations flooded the prior summer in our basement :(  It was sad.
Luckily this year, I ordered burlap stockings and they go great with our new sign!




1 comment :

  1. I've been surfing online over three hours today, yet I never discovered any intriguing article like yours. It's really sufficiently worth for me. As I would like to think, if all website admins and bloggers made great substance as you did, the web will be significantly more helpful than any other time in recent memory. Cal Dec Print

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...