Bourbon Chicken | Sugar for Breakfast: Bourbon Chicken
Image Map

Friday, July 19, 2013

Bourbon Chicken

Before I say anything else, I must say this is my new favorite chicken dish!!!
Seriously, so good.
I made this recipe based off of about 4 different bourbon chicken recipes I had saved.
Some had too much soy sauce for my liking, some not enough spice, etc.
So I played around with the recipes to get this as my end product.
And, I must say...this is one I am happy to share!
You must go and make this for dinner ASAP, like tonight's dinner.
Bourbon chicken began in the south (Bourbon Street) so it is meant to have some kick to it, and good liquor should be used when making it (bourbon, like Southern Comfort).
However, if you won't ever use the bourbon for anything else, you can opt to leave it out altogether. It won't change the end flavor much, but if it is there, you'll know, and if it isn't, nobody will probably notice.
Go. Make this. Now.


Bourbon Chicken

2 1/2-3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, trimmed & cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup Southern Comfort (or any bourbon)

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
Cook the chicken in the oil (I always drain the excess fat that comes out from the chicken)
Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes to the chicken and toss around the wok. 
Keep the chicken over a high heat and add the apple juice, brown sugar, cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, water, cornstarch, and bourbon.
Mix well.
Continue to cook and let the liquid come to a boil.
Stir frequently and allow sauce to thicken. 
Reduce heat to medium, just enough to keep it boiling, and let the sauce thicken and reduce.
Keep stirring to keep the chicken coated in the sauce.
When the sauce has reduced and is coating the chicken is well, remove from heat.
Serve over rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...