Scarf & Hat Hooks DIY {dresser repurpose} | Sugar for Breakfast: Scarf & Hat Hooks DIY {dresser repurpose}
Image Map

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Scarf & Hat Hooks DIY {dresser repurpose}


A few months ago I repurposed an old dresser that I had picked up from a friend to make a shoe organizer by our front door. To see what I did check out this post.

I had a lot of great wood from the drawers left to use...
{ah-ha moment}
Use them to make hangers for my scarves and hats!!
They were piling up in a tote in the bottom of my closet that I had to dig through, and by the front door in a basket when I would take them off...yes, they needed a home.
They are super easy to make and don't take much time at all. The best part is you can add hooks as you need since there is plenty of room on the wood.

Supplies:
  • Dresser drawer fronts (if repurposing-otherwise wood that is 2 feet wide by at least 3/4 inch thick, and however tall you would like)
  • Spray paint
  • Drawer pulls, coat hooks, random or assorted hooks
  • Screws (1 1/2 inch long - 2 for each wood piece)
  • Drawer pull screws or hot a glue gun and glue sticks
  • Drill or screwdriver
Take apart the dresser drawers, and spray paint the wood you would like to use as the base for your hooks.


Determine where you would like to place the hooks for the scarves or hats. 
*When making for hats, the hooks need to be spaced further apart than with the scarf hooks.

Drill a hole, if necessary, for the screws to go in for the drawer pulls to be attached
*I screwed the pulls in for my scarf board, but found I liked hot gluing them on much better as many of the screws were too long, and caused the board to not sit flat against the wall when hung up.


I used the board as above for quite some time, but was running out of room. So, I added some double-hooks (coat hook) spaced along the bottom of the board to layer the scarves and have much more room:
*I had to use shorter screws than what came with the hooks, otherwise they are too long since they are meant to go into the wall.


Using the two holes in the center of the drawer from the drawer pulls (as it was a dresser) I used the large 1 1/2 inch screws and screwed the board into the wall. 
I hung up my scarves and my hats and I am good to go!
I add more hooks as I need them, I need to take an updated photo to show what I have done. 
If you don't have a dresser, any scrap wood would work perfectly fine!





1 comment :

  1. Loving all of those scarves I see :) XO Hope you are well! Lizzi @ ForgottenCotton

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...