Bon Bon Bars | Sugar for Breakfast: Bon Bon Bars
Image Map

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bon Bon Bars

During the holidays one of my favorite candies that Grandma would make are peanut butter bon bons. They are so delicious! I have the recipe and I still make them every Christmas. I will post them when I make them again, I mean the recipe calls for a bit of wax in the chocolate to make the bon bons nice and glossy. They are the perfect peanut butter/chocolate ball of deliciousness.
Well, I had a sweet tooth the over the weekend and I was really wanting some of those bon bons. But...my kitchen was a disaster (my uncle laid new sheet vinyl flooring for us) and I didn't have the patience to roll and dip a hundred little balls.
IDEA! Just make them into bars! So that is just what I did. I modified the recipe a bit to make them in bar form, but mostly they are just the same. Bars of deliciousness.


Bon Bon Bars

3 cups Rice Krispies (or crisp rice cereal)
18oz jar Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Butter
3 cups Powdered Sugar

1 1/2 cups Chocolate Chips (I like milk chocolate)
3 tablespoons butter

Put the peanut butter and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and melt together in microwave. 
I like to melt the butters in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each until the mixture is smooth.
Once completely melted and smooth, add the powdered sugar, and Rice Krispies.
Fold everything together with a large wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
Press the peanut butter mixture evenly into a 9x13 glass or metal baking dish.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and 3 tbsp butter.
Melt using 30-second intervals until the chocolate is smooth. Do not over-cook.
Spread the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture.

Here is the secret to the chocolate not breaking up when you cut the bars:
Let the chocolate sit until it is almost set.
Using a butter knife, score the chocolate into 1 inch pieces, or however large you want, and then place the dish in the refrigerator to finish setting up. 
Use a sharp knife to cut the bars apart where the score marks through the chocolate are.
Remove from the pan and place in an air-tight container.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...