Mini Shepherd's Pies | Sugar for Breakfast: Mini Shepherd's Pies
Image Map

Monday, September 17, 2012

Mini Shepherd's Pies

When I first came across this recipe over at Taste of Home I knew I had to try them someday. I've always had "making a Shepherd's Pie" on my list of food to make someday, and I thought these looked like a great introduction and awesome because they are individual servings. I adapted the recipe some, as the recipe from Taste of Home was very simplified, and for once in my life all I had were fresh ingredients! The original recipe uses instant potatoes and dried onions and garlic, so I adjusted for actually making mashed potatoes and chopping onions and  garlic myself.
But this was a winner and something I will definitely rotate into our "usual" dinner dishes. The leftovers were even good, which is rare for me to say...I'm just not a "leftover" person. It seems like there is a lot of steps for making these little guys, but it really didn't take long to pull together at all. I was very pleased with them!


Mini Shepherd's Pies

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion (half of one small onion)
1 glove minced garlic
1/3 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 small/medium sized potatoes; peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
Milk
1 package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuits)
Paprika 

Preheat oven to 400°
Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, sprinkle with salt; cover and bring to boil over the stove.
In a skillet brown ground beef; drain any excess fat.
Add onion and garlic to beef; cook until onions become clear.
Stir in chili sauce and cider vinegar with the beef; heat thoroughly.
Let simmer over low heat.
In a muffin tin, place one biscuit in each opening. Press up the sides to create a little bowl.
Once potatoes are cooked, drain water; add sour cream and milk until desired consistency is reached when mashed.
Scoop meat into each muffin tin with a biscuit in it. 
Using an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop, place a scoop of mashed potatoes on top of each meat in the muffin tins..
Sprinkle with paprika; if desired.
Place in oven and cook 10-15 minutes; until biscuit is fully baked.
Remove from the tins and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...