Banana Bars & Browned Butter Frosting | Sugar for Breakfast: Banana Bars & Browned Butter Frosting
Image Map

Monday, September 3, 2012

Banana Bars & Browned Butter Frosting

If you have been following my blog, you might have noticed by obsession with banana bread, banana muffins...etc. Well folks, add this to my obsession list: Banana Bars with Browned Butter Frosting!
Oh Em Gee!
These are mighty tasty.
A little bit of heaven right in your mouth.
I was nervous when I tried this recipe. I never had made banana bars before, I thought they might be too dense, not a lot of flavor (since streusel really is the reason why banana bread is my favorite) but I was caught off guard by just how delicious these really are!
My sister came for a visit as I was making the frosting...I had made the bars the night before with my daughter but the kitchen was just too hot to do anything else in it, so she was here to savor them with us during the first bites.
Go make these. Now.


Banana Bars & Browned Butter Frosting

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup butter; room temperature
2 eggs
2 cups mashed, ripe bananas (about 3 large)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 375°
Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan

Mash bananas (I like to use a potato masher) and add the sugar, yogurt, butter, eggs, and vanilla. 
Mix well.
Add the flour, salt and baking soda to the banana mixture until well combined and no flour streaks are left.
Pour into baking dish and spread evenly. 
Bake for 30 minutes.
Let cool completely then make the frosting:

1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the butter in a saucepan over the stove.
Continue to let the butter cook just until it turns brown; remove immediately. 
The butter goes from browned to burnt quickly, so don't take your eyes off it, and stir constantly. 
Whisk in the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to the butter.
Pour and spread evenly over the banana bars.
Slice and serve!

2 comments :

  1. I totally understand your obsession with bananas and definitely with these bars. They are SO delicious!

    I just made some!
    http://thekitchenkook.blogspot.com/2013/01/moist-banana-bars-with-brown-butter.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I just LOVE these banana bars! I purposely have bananas browning right now just so I can make some more. I'm glad someone else shares their banana baking obsession with me :)

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...