Beef & Broccoli | Sugar for Breakfast: Beef & Broccoli
Image Map

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Beef & Broccoli


I was making this for dinner last night, and when my husband walked in the door from work he yelled out "It smells like my mom's house in here! I love it!"

I'm trying hard to learn how to cook "Asian food". My husband is Khmer, and it is going to take me a long time to get those dishes down...so in the meantime I'm practicing with everyday dishes like Beef and Broccoli. This is simple and we typically have all the ingredients on hand, except for the broccoli. I should have that on hand more now that I think about it...

Beef & Broccoli
{printable recipe}

1-1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin, sliced into thin strips against the grain
2-3 cups broccoli florets
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp sesame oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp MSG (sub with salt if you don't use MSG or omit altogether)
1 tsp sugar

In  a small bowl combine cornstarch, oyster sauce, sesame oil, water, MSG and sugar until well combined and cornstarch is dissolved.

In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil until hot.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes.
Stir fry for about a minute; then add beef.
Cook beef until no longer pink and until desired crispness.
Pour the oyster sauce mixture over the beef; coat beef well.
Add the broccoli to beef.
Continue cooking until sauce coats all the beef and broccoli.
Serve over rice.

1 comment :

  1. That looks lovely to eat! I really love eating beef especially when it have lots of sauce. I will definitely cook this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...