Pumpkin Bread | Sugar for Breakfast: Pumpkin Bread
Image Map

Monday, November 10, 2014

Pumpkin Bread

Fall brings out the baker in us all...right?
If you enjoy baking bread and you enjoy pumpkin, then this is the perfect recipe for you!
My grandma always baked up this recipe in little loaves, wrap them up and toss them in the freezer (this bread freezes really well) and thaw one out whenever someone was coming over to have a little snack.
I have tried so many pumpkin bread recipes, as well as other people's pumpkin bread, and nothing compares to this one. For me at least.
Perhaps it is because the one I was raised munching on (my daughter loves it just as much as I did at her age) or maybe it is because it is full of rich flavor, moist, dense - but not too dense, and easily to adapt by adding walnuts to (try it at least once that way). So good.
I either bake them in mini loaves as well, or just one big loaf (9x5), but there is always a bit of batter left over, so I simple pour the remaining into paper-lined cupcake tin cavities and bake up a few pumpkin muffins. I then snack on those while I am impatiently waiting for the bread to cool!
I like to eat it while it is still a bit warm with some butter on it.
It melts in just perfectly and mmm..okay. I made myself drool.
Just kidding.

Okay, I'm not kidding :)



Pumpkin Bread

by Emily Chhouy
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 60 min
Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamaon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-15oz can pumpkin
  • 2/3 cup water
  • optional
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 small package dates
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt - set aside.
in a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening and sugar together until fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Mix in the pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin until no white streaks remain.
Pour the water in gently and stir until inorporated.
Fold in the walnuts and/or dates, if desired.
Pour batter into a prepared 9x5 loaf pan, or mini loaves, or in cupcake tin.
Bake for 60 minues, until center is not jiggly and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
*Adjust baking times if making small loaves or muffins.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...