Caramel Brownies | Sugar for Breakfast: Caramel Brownies
Image Map

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Caramel Brownies

Today is kind of exciting for me! I am "Blogger of the Day" over at the new recipe website, gourmandize.com.
I was contacted by them via Twitter a week or so ago and I have been exploring their website in the meantime.  You can choose your favorite recipes (or upload your own) and have them made into cookbooks! It is prettty sweet. I already have plans on an Asian-food cookbook, cookies, cupcakes, chicken, beef...you get the idea :)
I have been trying to get my own recipes added, but it takes time, which I haven't had too much of lately.
However, I did manage to have enough time yesterday to bake up a batch of thee best brownies I have ever had in my life. Ever. I mean it.
I received the recipe from a co-worker while at my old "desk" job, and I have made them many, many times and they are wonderful. Never once have they let me down!



And since last night we had some friends over for a dinner party, I knew I needed a dessert everyone would love. These seemed to hit the spot. (I also whipped up a batch of Jumbo Peanut Buter cookies

Here are a few of my tips for making these brownies. Caramel can be difficult to work with, especially with these are done in layers.

  • Line the baking dish with parchment paper or foil - you will be so unhappy if you don't line it!
  • Bake the first layer til they look practically done - or else the caramel will sink
  • Pop the baked first layer of brownies in the freezer while melting the caramels - it helps the brownies from sinking as well
  • The brownie batter that goes over the caramel layer will be difficult to spread - it's okay though, just spoon it as evenly as you can over the top, it bakes together
  • After the brownies are done baking - pop the dish back into the freezer for an hour or so if you are needing them quickly, or else let them cool on the counter and then place in the fridge for a couple hours or the freezer for at least 20 minutes before cutting. The caramel will be a disaster to cut if to warm
  • Pull the brownies out with the foil or parchment paper (lift them up out of the pan) and use a long serated knife (I like to use a bread knife) to cut off all the edges and even up the brownies.
  • The caramel hardens on the edges, so just slice them off - then use the knife to cut apart the brownies - if you use a shorter knife it makes it difficult with the caramel and messy also!
Caramel Brownies
1 1/2 cups Baker's chocolate (unsweetened or sweetned)
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
11oz bag baking caramels
1/3 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350
In a microwave-safe bowl, or a saucepan over a low heat on the stove, melt together the chocolate and butter.
Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Add the flour and salt, just until incorporated - do not overmix brownie batter.
Spread 1/2 - 2/3 of the batter in a 8x11 or 9x13 baking dish lined with either foil or parchment paper.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
Put the dish with the brownies in the refrigerator or freezer while preparing the caramel.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the caramels with the heavy cream.
Stirring frequently, melt the caramel until smooth.
Spread the melted caramels over the baked brownies.
Spoon the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer, spreading the batter as evenly as you can.
Return the brownies to the oven and let bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the brownies cool completely - then trim the edges and slice the brownies.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...