Beef & Broccoli II | Sugar for Breakfast: Beef & Broccoli II
Image Map

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Beef & Broccoli II

Lately I have been revisiting some of my  recipes and changing them up a bit. I posted all of my favorite versions, up until the time I posted it :)
I have been playing around with my asian dishes mostly, because I am not a huge fan of soy sauce. This is one of those that I toyed around with and the recipe isn't too much different from my original Beef & Broccoli recipe, but this one my hubs preferred much more. Success in my book!
One thing that is hard about adapting recipes like beef & broccoli is that it isn't asian. I mean, broccoli is American through and through, so trying to make it asian-ish is difficult.
But, the beef in this stays tender, as long as you don't overcook it, and it tastes very good!


Beef & Broccoli

1 1/2 - 2 lbs beef roast (rump or round), cut into thin slices, against the grain
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1 clove minced garlic
1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
2-3 cups broccoli, with stems removed

In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and pepper.
Add the sliced beef to the sauce and coat well
Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil.
Add the ginger and garlic.
Keep over high heat, add the beef, and cook until the beef is tender, be careful not to over cook.
Add the oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and cornstarch to the cooked beef.
Mix well.
Add water to thin the sauce so it coats the beef well, and isn't too thick.
Mix the broccoli in with the beef, coating well with the sauce.
Let cook for about 2 minutes, but do not overcook the broccoli - it will get too soggy if cooked too long.
Serve with rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...