Cookies & Cream Cupcakes and Frosting | Sugar for Breakfast: Cookies & Cream Cupcakes and Frosting
Image Map

Friday, December 30, 2011

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes and Frosting

Oreos. Delicious. Everybody loves them. Nobody can resist them, especially with a glass of milk.
Until I started selling cupcakes, I never realized how many people love cookies & cream cupcakes. Even in an entire cake form! (I have made a wedding cake out of cookies & cream...seriously).
Many recipes that I find seem to have a chocolate cake batter, with an Oreo stuck inside on the bottom, with a crushed chocolate sandwich cookie frosting. That's all fine, but I prefer a creamy batter with bits of the cookie baked throughout it all.
So after some trial and errors with several recipes, I found my favorite. I'm not sure where I came across it, but it makes a scrumptious dense cake. These dry out quickly, so please don't make them too far in advance of the event they are intended for...if they last until the event!


Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites (I use the egg whites in the carton)
1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (aka Oreos) I use 10 double stuffed cookies

Preheat oven to 350°
Prepare 24 muffin cups with liners

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and add the sugar.
Add in the milk, butter and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes.
Add the eggs whites; beat an additional 2 minutes.
Place cookies in a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.
Stir in crushed cookies by hand.
Spoon into liners so they are half full. They rise quite a bit while baking (trial and error has taught me this)
Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Transfer to cooling rack.
Cookies & Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups confectioner's sugar
8 or so crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (I use a food processor for these, it makes it easier for piping)
12 additional cookies, cut in half for garnish

Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla together until fluffy.
Beat in confectioner's sugar until a stiff consistency is obtained. 
Stir in crushed cookies.
Pipe onto cupcakes using a #12 tip.
Place cookie on top of frosting, cut side down.
Enjoy!





No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...