Red Velvet Cupcakes | Sugar for Breakfast: Red Velvet Cupcakes
Image Map

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Red Velvet cake is something people are scared to make.
I think it is the whole baking soda/vinegar thing.
I used to be scared of it also. When I first started making it, no matter what recipe I tried, how careful I was when folding in the ingredients, it was always dry. It always let me down in the moist factor.
I like moist cake, I don't like it to be dry. At all.
I found the is sour cream. I can't help it. I add sour cream to almost all my cakes.
So now, I am not scared of it anymore.
If you make it the classic way, you would make a sour cream frosting for it, but as times have changed most people now are used to cream cheese frosting on it. I add a little sour cream to my frosting just for a different flavor.
I think you'll like this super easy Red Velvet Cupcake!



Red Velvet Cupcakes

4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice)
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream together the butter and sugar.
Add the egg, cocoa, red coloring and vanilla.
Combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
Add alternatively to the creamed mixture with buttermilk.
Fold in the sour cream
In a small bowl whisk together the baking soda and vinegar.
Fold into the batter.
Fill 12 paper cupcake liners with 1/4 cup of the batter.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 cup butter, softened
4oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sour cream.

Cream together butter and cream cheese.
Add the vanilla and sour cream.
Beat in sugar until desired consistency is reached.
Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...