Funfetti Cupcakes | Sugar for Breakfast: Funfetti Cupcakes
Image Map

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Funfetti Cupcakes

I don't think you actually ever need something to celebrate to enjoy a sprinkle-filled, joyous, put-a-smile-on-your-face funfetti cupcake.


But, in my case this week I did actually have something to celebrate. I finished my public speaking class with an A!
Not normally a big deal, but for me in this class, it is a huge deal, for me anyhow. 
However, I don't think half of the class ever did the assignments, or upload their speeches (I took the online course) but I don't really care about what everyone else did, because I got an A! Woo hoo! 
Now I have a little over a month left before I start classes with Southern New Hampshire University's Creative Writing program. (I am overly excited about starting it)
So these cupcakes are to celebrate that!

That, and my daughter spending the night with my sister last night. She is four, and hasn't stayed anywhere (okay - she's only ever even stayed with my sister) in over two years! It was nice to get up and get everything I needed to get accomplished today without having to entertain her at the same time. I didn't realize how a day to myself is really, desperately needed more frequently. 
Oh-and she got a Holland Lop bunny last night also. Celebrate that? Nah..it is just going to end up being another chore for myself. But, in my head I vowed that it will the "preschool bunny" (starting homeschool PreK in a week) and the bunny, named Fluffy, will be all about learning responsibility. This is Sophia and Fluffy:


Seriously, look how proud she is of that bunny. Today, when she got home from the zoo with my sister, I overheard her tell the bunny, "aww, it's okay baby Fluffy, mama is here now." *melts my heart*

But yet, another reason to celebrate is that it is my grandpa's 89th birthday today!
We are actually having dinner together tomorrow night, but they will be enjoyed tomorrow, again :)

No matter the celebration, funfetti cupcakes just make a celebration complete. Sprinkles make anyone happy. Seriously, whenever something with sprinkles is placed before me, I smile. I can't help it. 



I have made many-a-funfetti cakes, but this recipe comes from Sally's Baking Addiction and come together perfectly and are super simple! The recipe makes exactly 12 cupcakes, so it is easy to double if needed.

But seriously, these are amazing. Remember to use actual sprinkles, not nonperils, for mixing into the batter. If you use nonperils, the color will bleed into the batter. Save those for decorating the tops!



Funfetti Cupcakes

1 2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sprinkles

Frosting:
1 cup butter, room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
Nonperil sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350
In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another bowl whisk together the melted butter and sugars.
Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture.
Alternate adding the flour mixture to the butter and sugars with sour cream and then the milk.
Mix until just combined.
Fold in the sprinkles.
Fill prepared muffin tins (paper liners) with 1/4 cup of the batter in each. 
Bake for 10-12 minutes. 
Remove from tin to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.

In a stand mixer, or using a hand mixer, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes before adding the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.
Pour in the milk and vanilla.
Continue beating for 1-2 minutes.
Pipe onto cupcakes.
Sprinkle the nonperils over the tops.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...