The Best Chicken Salad | Sugar for Breakfast: The Best Chicken Salad
Image Map

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Best Chicken Salad

Time is flying by!
Where did the month of April go? And more importantly, where did the last 20 days of May disappear to??
The weather has been crazy...a few weeks ago we had 4 inches of snow fall, and now we are up to 80° degree weather. I'll take the hot weather any day!
Today was great, my daughter and the daycare kiddos were able to play outside in the little club house and run off some energy, while I got to something I've been waiting to do for a few weeks now...harvest some rhubarb from my backyard!! While I am typing this up the kiddos are all now tuckered out and napping while my freshly cleaned rhubarb is soaking up some sugar for jam. Mmmm!



With the spike in temps I really hate cooking and heating up my kitchen when I don't need to. And I love chicken salad and egg salad. They make a lot, I can keep it in the fridge, and get a couple meals off of one batch (at least a lunch and supper...depending on how much the hubs devours).
I have been craving this delicious chicken salad. I had it for the first time many years (like seven or so) ago at my friend's bridal shower. Her sister got the recipe from our local hospital - if I remember correctly, and I had to have it. Well I copied it down on a recipe card and I haven't been able to find it since the ONE time that I made it all those years ago. *sad*



Recently we have done some work to our kitchen which meant lots of cleaning out drawers and cupboards...and guess what I found tucked away? THEE chicken salad recipe!! WOOT WOOT!
I couldn't wait to make it and I did so over the weekend.
Let me say this...I have tried to mimic this recipe from memory and searching other people's on the internet, and they all miss something. This one is seriously the best-ever! Go gather the ingredients and make this...now!
Please, also serve it on croissants or King's Hawaiian Bread, your taste-buds will thank you! Now


For this recipe makes about 12 standard-sized croissant sandwiches. 
If you are prepping these for a gathering, you could get the mini croissants and have enough to serve quite a few people!
These are very good on the Hawaiian Bread mini-sub rolls also. 


Chicken breasts are typically fairly large, so I normally use three breasts. Sometimes I fudge the recipe a bit and another breast and then just add a smidgen more of the other ingredients. It all works out in the end!
The combo of sour cream and mayo make this extra creamy and smooth. Not like your typical chicken salads. The crunchiness of the cashews and celery also add a little something that I love!
If you are trying to save calories, try it on a wrap. But you seriously need that buttery, flaky croissant!



Other chicken salad (and an egg salad) recipes:


Best Chicken Salad

by Sugar For Breakfast
Prep Time: 15 min
Ingredients (12 sandwiches)
  • 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast (about 3 breasts)
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsly chopped cashews
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups halved grapes
Instructions
Combine the cooled chicken, celery and chopped cashews.
Mix in the mayo and sour cream.
Add the vinegar and sugar and combine everything really well.
Fold in the halved grapes, being careful not to crush them.
Cover and let sit in the refrigerator a couple hours so everything can chill and mesh together.
Serve on King's Hawaiian Bread or croissants.
Powered by Recipage

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...