Apple Fritter Bread | Sugar for Breakfast: Apple Fritter Bread
Image Map

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Apple Fritter Bread

Now that the big meal is over and the kitchen is finally clean again.
You can now see all the leftover food that you have to use before it goes bad.
Do you happen to have a few apples hanging around after baking up those delicious apple pies?
I made 5 apple pies and 3 apple cheesecakes this year.
So I have a few apples to spare.
There is a bakery in Pella, IA (Jarrsma Bakery) and they make the most delicious apple bread I have ever eaten in my entire life! It is studded with walnuts and has a caramel icing on the top.
Just thinking about it makes me want to jump in my car right this moment and drive the 30 minutes just to buy a loaf (that I am totally capable of inhaling by myself on the drive home. Sadly, it is true - although I haven't ever actually done it. I just know I could because it is that good).
Well, I would love to know how to make that delicious bread.
I have tried several different bread recipes and nothing seems to compare to that wonderfulness that I can buy for around $3, which is totally worth it, by the way!


I happen to own a few "old" cookbooks. Thanks to me and my family picking them up whenever we are "antiquing" while on vacation. When I say old, I mean it. Most are early 1900's up through the 50's. I have a lot of newly released cookbooks as well, but something about those worn pages with notes written in with pencil in beautiful cursive that nobody writes in anymore, just make me so happy!
Plus, the way these recipes are written makes them virtually extinct now due to modernization of practically everything!
Well, I was craving that bread from the bakery, so I set out on a mission to find an apple bread recipe that I haven't tried yet.
I stumbled upon this one and it is sooooo freaking tasty.
I have made apple fritters before, and this tastes like those in slice form!


Now go peel and dice up those spare one or two apples you have and make this delicious bread for breakfast in the morning. You will not be disappointed!


Apple Fritter Bread

by Emily Chhouy
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Ingredients (1-9" loaf)
    For the Bread
    • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
    • 2/3 cup white sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 cups flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 cup milk
    For the Filling/Topping
    • 2 apples, peeled and diced into small pieces
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • AND
    • 1/3 cup brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    For the Icing
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 1-3 tablespoons milk
    Instructions
    For the Filling/Topping
    Toss the 1 teaspoons of sugar and cinnamon together with the diced apple.
    In a separate bow, mix together the brown sugar and other 1 teaspoons of cinnamon together.
    Set both aside.
    For the Bread
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Grease a 9x5 bread pan; set aside.
    Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy
    Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
    Stir in the vanilla.
    In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
    Add the flour to the butter slowly, alternating with the milk until all is just combined.
    Do not over mix.
    Spoon half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
    Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
    Add half of the apple mixture over the sugar, press gently into the batter.
    Pour the remaining batter into the pan.
    Repeat with the remaining brown sugar and apple mixes on the top of the bread.
    Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden brown and bread is baked in the middle.
    Let cool on a rack while preparing the icing.
    Remove from the pan after 10-15 minutes to continue cooling.
    For the Icing
    Stir together the powdered sugar with a tablespoon of the milk.
    Add milk a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency you'd like.
    Put the loaf of bread on a serving platter (or keep on the cooling rack, just place wax paper beneath it to catch any excess icing)
    Drizzle with the icing.
    Cut and serve.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...